Here you can see what life was like during the early 1900s. In 1909 and 1910, the owners of Fraser Mills lumber mill recruited two contingents of French Canadian mill workers from Quebec. Today, Maillardville is home to the largest community of French Canadians in Western Canada. Your arrival at Brunette Ave. is marked by a clock tower with a French heritage motif, weathervane and fleurs-de-lis. Carré Heritage Square marks the historic entrance to Fraser Lumber Mills. The neighbourhood’s past is recognized in street names, cultural activities such as Festival du Bois and community associations that honour early pioneers and their French Canadian heritage.
Mackin Park is home to Festival du Bois every year, a weekend celebration of francophone culture. This park has playing fields, ball diamonds, tennis courts, walking trails, a playground, spray park, large skateboarding area and Nelson Creek. If you’re looking for another great playground in this neighbourhood, try Rochester Park, which features a spectacular nature-themed playground structure, zip line, climbing wall, tube slide, saucer swings and more.
- Tour Mackin House, built in 1909, and learn about Coquitlam’s French Canadian heritage, plus pick up a walking tour brochure to explore this historic neighbourhood
- Visit the newly opened Maillardville Community Centre and explore their many family friendly programs, activities and services available for all ages
- Stroll through historic Carré Heritage Square and Laval Square, which features Our Lady of Lourdes Church built in 1938 on the site of the original church
- Visit Place des Arts, home to our arts community, featuring an Artisan Shop, galleries, events & performances, as well as classes in a variety of arts disciplines
- Join in the annual Festival du Bois, the largest francophone festival on Canada’s West Coast featuring musical performances, traditional cuisine and activities
- Surrounded by shopping & entertainment, visit the Cineplex Cinemas Coquitlam & VIP, Zone Bowling, neighbourhood pubs and a selection of restaurant choices for all tastes
- A short drive south, discover the United Blvd. shopping area known for its home furnishings, lighting, appliances and renovation retailers