During these days of virtual sightseeing, how about taking a tour of local film sites – from the comfort of your couch? We’ve compiled a list of movies and TV series that partly used Coquitlam as its backdrop.
So settle in, order some take-out, then kick back and binge. If you’re in the Tri-Cities, don’t miss visitcoquitlam.ca’s list of 150+ restaurants open for takeout and delivery.
Fun fact: Did you know Coquitlam is home to one of Canada’s top film spots? You guessed it: Riverview Lands, home to the famous Riverview Hospital, is an in-demand film locale where countless Hollywood stars have made movie magic.
10 Binge-Worthy Feature Films
- Deadpool 2
We all know Ryan Reynolds filmed Deadpool 2 in Vancouver, but did you know he also cut some memorable scenes at Coquitlam’s Riverview Lands? The complex’s buildings famously double as hospitals, police stations or other institutional settings.
Once again, Riverview was the site of many scenes for this much-loved Will Ferrell movie, including the toy department.
- Bad Times at the El Royale
Upper Coquitlam River Park is a popular film locale, offering evergreen forests and open spaces.
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid 3: Dog Days
Coquitlam’s Eagle Ridge outdoor pool was the site for the fun pool scenes in this hit kids’ movie.
This dystopian film stars Matt Damon and Jodie Foster. It was partly filmed on – you guessed it – the Riverview Lands.
Godzilla filmed at numerous locations throughout Metro Vancouver, including an industrial area in Coquitlam near United Boulevard.
- The Mountain Between Us
Kate Winslet was among the stars in this 2017 feature, filmed at Coquitlam’s film studio, SIM North Bend Studios.
- The Professor / (alternate title: Richard Says Goodbye)
Yes, Johnny Depp was in Coquitlam (Riverview Lands) to film this feature about a college professor who lives life with reckless abandon after being diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- The Twilight Saga New Moon
Do you remember the excitement surrounding the filming of the Twilight saga within Metro Vancouver? One of the Coquitlam locations was Widgeon Marsh Regional Park.
- War for the Planet of the Apes
Quarries provide the perfect landscape for extreme movie scenes. You can already picture what might have been filmed at Lafarge Canada Quarry & Crown Land in Coquitlam.
And let’s not forget all the addictive TV series partly filmed in Coquitlam.
- Arrow – United Boulevard Industrial Area
- The Good Doctor – Coquitlam River Park, Sim North Bend Studios
- Riverdale – Riverview Lands
- Legends of Tomorrow – Town Centre Park
- Van Helsing – Colony Farm & Widgeon Marsh Regional Park
- Supernatural – Galette Park
- X-Files – Catalyst Paper Recycling Substation
- Supergirl – Town Centre Park
- Batwoman – Riverview Lands
- Once Upon a Time – Upper Coquitlam River Park
- Stargate – Lafarge Cement Quarry
- Wayward Pines – Princeton Park – Burke Mountain
- The Flash – Municipal Roadways
- Bates Motel – Quarry Road
Have fun, stay home and we’ll see you out and about in Coquitlam later. For more, go to visitcoquitlam.ca.