Let’s raise a glass to craft beer! Whether your taste buds fancy a lager, stout or ale, you’ll find plenty of tasty pints to sip in Coquitlam. Here are a few places that offer an over-and-above selection of suds.
- JOHN B. NEIGHBOURHOOD PUB How does more than 80 types of beer sound? At the John B. Neighbourhood Pub, you can kick back to sample great brews on tap as well as ciders, wine and more than 460 different spirits. Other highlights include daily happy hour specials and an extensive menu. Drop in for live music four nights a week featuring local bands and DJs, or while away a lazy afternoon on the outdoor patio.
- MARINER BREWING Mariner Brewing is Coquitlam’s first craft brewery, just a 10-minute walk from Coquitlam Central SkyTrain station. Drop in to the tasting room to sample their IPAs, cream ales or weisse beer. Cider is also available on tap. Come spring/summer, enjoy the outdoor patio to sip and soak in the sun. The food menu includes shareable bites like gourmet hot dogs, charcuterie boards and spinach dip.
- MICKEY’S PUBLIC HOUSE This Irish-inspired pub offers more than a dozen beers on tap and 25 craft brews. Drop in to watch the game or for some classic pub food.
- FROG & NIGHTGOWN PUB You’ll find a selection of local craft beer and imports at this neighbourhood pub, which also has live Irish music, bands and a weekly Karaoke night.
- TOWNHALL PUBLIC HOUSE This restored pub was built in 1934 in the former Jubilee Hotel to serve millworkers working in Maillardville. Not only is it a step back in time, but this classic pub offers more than a dozen beers on tap plus 25 craft brews. You’ll also find craft cocktails, wine and an extensive menu.
- WOODY’S This neighbourhood pub on Brunette Ave. has been a Maillardville institution since 1932. It’s known for its sports screens, live bands, selection of craft beer and generous food portions. You’ll find live bands and a DJ every weekend with no cover, and a daily happy hour from 2-6 p.m.
Byron Vallis is a co-founder of Mariner Brewing, Coquitlam’s first craft beer brewery.
MY CITY: “My favourite parts of Coquitlam are the abundance of great outdoor spaces and the events and festivals. Town Centre Park is a great example: it’s one of my favourite places to walk my dog, and hosts the Canada Day and Kaleidoscope festivals.”
BEST BEER: “Mariner Brewing’s Northeast IPA has been drawing the most attention. It’s bursting with tropical fruit hop aroma and flavour with a smooth, less bitter finish. It’s available in our tasting room at as well as in local liquor stores and pubs.”
TRY THIS: “The Coquitlam City Centre neighbourhood has a cornucopia of great food and drink venues and our craft brewery adds to the culture of leisure, fun and community involvement. The craft beer scene is just emerging in Coquitlam, making it a great time to start exploring.”